We had a chat to Liquid Drum n Bass king Benson a while back, take a look…
1) You’ve become pretty renowned for your Drum & Bass selection, but Liquid is where it’s at for you. For people who literally have no idea who you classify the different genres, how do you explain what Liquid D&B is?
I describe Liquid Drum & Bass as Melodic and Emotive Drum & Bass. The melody and flow (whether vocal or not) forms the heart of the music and evokes strong and deep emotions.
2) This month has been pretty rad in terms of gigs for you – this weekend you were at Twilight. What was the vibe down there for the weekend?
There was an amazingly positive vibe of unity and love. Everyone there went to have a great time. It was raining pretty hard during my set, but it didn’t dampen the spirits at all, people still jammed their hearts out. I feel very privileged to have been part of it.
3) Now, this week it’s Halloween and you will be at the robot apocalypse side. What have you got planned for the party? Any spooky surprises for the night?
I’m am planning a different set. It’ll still be Liquid, but there will very definitely be haunting rhythms, swooping basslines and some spooky melodies in the mix.
4) Will you be partaking in any trick or treating on the night also?
Well, I will definitely be on the lookout for treats, if you know what I mean ;).
5) The end of the year is almost here! What have you got planned before 2015 rolls in?
I’m still not sure yet, but it looks like I’ll be doing a road trip along the coast that will culminate at Resonance in Cape Town I hope that come together, so keen.